5 Google Maps Tricks You May Not Know
Did you know that you can do these?
- Get Turn-by-turn Driving Directions Without Being Connected To The Internet!
- Use The App To Find The Cheapest Gas Along Your Route
- Find Coffee Shops, Restaurants, And More Along Your Route
- Use Voice Commands in Navigation Mode
- See Popular Times at Restaurants
1. Get Turn-by-turn Driving Directions Without Being Connected To The Internet!
Android users can get turn-by-turn driving directions without an internet connection. This can be great if you’re in another country and don’t want to get hit with expensive data overage fees.
To get offline maps, you must download an area ahead of time — it can be a city or even a country — when you have a WiFi connection.
To do this, search for a place and tap what Google refers to as the Place Sheet at the bottom of the screen. Then tap “download” on the right.
You’ll then see a window that will show the area that it will download. That window is adjustable, but the bigger the area, the larger the file size. You’ll be able to use Google Maps for driving directions and even search for addresses when you don’t have a connection to the internet.
(iOS users can still get offline maps, but they can’t get turn-by-turn driving directions.)
2. Use The App To Find The Cheapest Gas Along Your Route
You can now use Google Maps to find the least expensive place to fill up your tank, and you won’t have to retype your destination after you’re routed to the gas station.
To find gas stations and gas prices, tap the magnifying glass on the top of your screen. Choose “gas stations” from the dropdown menu. Google Maps will even tell you how much time will be added to your trip if you detour for gas.
3. Find Coffee Shops, Restaurants, And More Along Your Route
Again, looking for these businesses along your route won’t mess with your final destination. Google Maps will show you ratings and how much time will be added to your trip if you visit one of the businesses.
If you use bike directions, you’ll see the elevation of your route. It appears right below the mileage and estimated time.
4. Use Voice Commands in Navigation Mode
5. See Popular Times at Restaurants
To see a detailed business listing, tap the place sheet at the bottom of the screen. You can see popular times for different days by scrolling right and left.